Tuesday, March 31, 2015

300331 Topic: Spokane



The focus of this night’s broadcast of Empire Builders was Spokane, Washington, and its iconic hotel, the Davenport. But that just addresses the milieu of the story. For fans of old time radio, this broadcast is more significant in the fact that it was written by Raymond Knight (1899-1953), and he played a leading role. And perhaps because he was the author of the story, it is not too surprising he even spoke the opening lines of the dramatization.

Here’s one short write-up about this episode:

A modern romance of the West, in which an incorrigible “wise cracker” succeeds in spite of himself in winning the girl and is, in turn, won by the West. The locale is Spokane and it all takes place in one of the banquet halls of the famous Davenport Hotel. The story was written by Raymond Knight, prototype of the principal character. Mr. Knight is production manager of the Empire Builder broadcasts.


 As usual, announcer John S. Young provided the introduction. Rarely were any of the participating artists named in the earlier days of the broadcast series, but by the time of this program, attention was drawn to the names of some of these people on a more regular basis.

OPENING ANNOUNCEMENT:

You are listening to Empire Builders, a presentation of the Great Northern Railway, featuring Harvey Hays as the Old Pioneer, Virginia Gardiner, Andy Sannella and his orchestra and Bob MacGimsey, harmony whistler. Tonight you will also hear for the first time on this program, Raymond Knight, director of the Empire Builder programs since their inception, who will play the part of Joe.

(MUSIC WITH WHISTLER UP AND OUT)
 



Ray Knight’s character, Joe, started up the dialog by launching a series of disparaging comments about Spokane and the West in general. He was speaking with his fiancĂ©e, Virginia (played by Virginia Gardiner), in the lobby of Spokane’s Davenport Hotel.

JOE:                Say, Virginia, the west doesn’t look so wild and woolly tonight. Here we are in the Davenport Hotel in Spokane, and they’ve got everything in the lobby but a picture of me. Really ought to have one, at that. Bet I’m the only man west of the Mississippi with spats on.

VIRGINIA:     Joe! Can’t you be serious about anything? Please try not to be funny tonight. I’m quite serious about loving Spokane and the West, and I’m not going to have you poking fun all the time. Besides, you’ve just got to be on your best behavior tonight at the Chamber of Commerce dinner.

JOE:                Ah, the Chamber of Commerce dinner! Stuffed olives, stuffed shirts, cold filet mignon, warm ice cream and speeches! I’m going to love it, too.

Not surprisingly, it isn’t long before the Old Timer appeared, and was introduced to Joe by Virginia. In the process, we learn one more little tidbit about the Old Timer that had not previously been revealed.

PIONEER:      Proud to meet you, sir. Virginia tells me you’re thinkin’ o’ settlin’ down here.

JOE:                Me? No, sorry! New York’s my permanent home. Say did you ever hear of New York – It’s a little island we bought from the Indians.

PIONEER:      Now let me see – Yes, I’ve heard of it some place ---  (CHUCKLE)  oh yes – sure enough I was born there.

The Old Timer and Joe exchanged some banter about the differences between living in the east and living in the west. Joe’s comments dripped with disdain and a certain amount of prejudice against Spokane and the western U.S. in general. The Old Timer, meanwhile, tried in vain to convince Joe he ought to give the area a try. Eventually, the three of them decided it was time to head off to the banquet. The Old Timer revealed that he was in fact one of the evening’s speakers. A musical transition ensued, and the scene shifted to the banquet room at the hotel.

(DINING ROOM SOUNDS UP WITH ORCHESTRA PLAYING A MARCH NUMBER. CHANGE TO WALTZ AND CONTINUE FOR FAIRLY LONG TRANSITION AND FADE OUT)

JOE:    Well, darling I’ll have to admit that that was a real dinner. They do feed you out here. (SOUND OF GAVEL, RAPPING FOR ATTENTION) Oh Lord! I knew we’d have to suffer!  (Sings: “The speeches are coming, hurray, Hurray!”) – “Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking – Holy cats, who is this?

VIRGINIA:     Joe, not so loud. That’s Professor Winterbottom. He’s – he’s one of these perpetual toastmasters that every city has.
 
Brochure boosting Spokane, circa 1914.


Winterbottom proved to be a bit of a blowhard after all, carrying on in eloquent form about the marvels of the Spokane area. Throughout the professor’s speech, Joe couldn’t resist quietly heckling the man with a series of snide comments. Virginia grew impatient with him and repeatedly pleaded with him to tone it down. Another speaker, a man named Hamilton, was introduced to the assemblage. There was no explanation of his position, but he may have been representing the Chamber of Commerce or similar booster organization. His comments were somewhat shorter than the professor’s and a little better received. He concluded his statements with these words:

Spokane for each of us holds some particular charm. The unspoiled wilderness is at our doors – the finest hunting and fishing in the Northwest is but a stone’s throw away. Lofty mountains beckon us a few short miles from the lofty buildings that line our streets. Here is the spectacle of a great city in the midst of the great open spaces – busy, hustling, young, and lusty. Here is the story we must each of us pass on to our friends. Spokane is literally, as my friend Winterbottom has so aptly put it, the Capitol City of the Inland Empire. There is little more to say. Tell your story of Spokane to your friends – do your duty to your city, spread the fame of Spokane wherever you go!

With a good deal of hearty applause, Hamilton’s comments even stirred a softening of Joe’s demeanor.

VIRGINIA:     Why Joe! You’re applauding!

JOE:                Oh! Oh – er – so I was well, why not? That was a darn good speech and that chap was so sincere. There may be something in it after all – of course I’ll never admit it – but he certainly had a few facts.

It was at this point that the Old Timer was called to the dais to speak. He startled both Joe and Virginia with what he had to say.

PIONEER:      Folks, I don’t rightly know whether I’ll dare to talk or not. (LAUGHTER)  No – – I may be used to speakin’ to you over the radio but I’m not used to makin’ speeches, face to face, but I promised I’d try, an’ I’ll do it’r bust. (chuckles) Y’see, I’ve been part n’ parcel o’ this here Northwest since ‘way back when, and askin’ me to make a speech ‘bout it’s like handin’ a boy two pies. He don’t know where to begin, an’ neither do I. (LAUGHTER)  But like our friend Mr. Winterbottom I’m a goin’ to tell you a story too. It seems there were two young people and their names were Joe and Virginia, I knew back East a few years ago. They’d knowed each other ever since they was youngsters, an’ they was practically engaged to be married. But the girl, she wasn’t satisfied with the East, and so one day she told the young fellow what was on her mind – it happened this way – – –

With another musical transition, the story evolved into a dramatization of the Old Timer’s story, a dialog between Joe and Virginia. It was told that Joe was holding down an important position in New York, with a contract that still had a year or two on it. In the meantime, Virginia had obtained work for the Spokane Chamber of Commerce, and felt compelled to follow the opportunity and move to eastern Washington. Virginia beseeched Joe to come and join her there when his contract was up. He promised to come out to Spokane, alright, but only if in possession of return train tickets for them both.

The Old Timer paused in his storytelling to see if the audience wanted him to continue. Of course they said yes, and he pressed on.

PIONEER:      Our second scene is in the observation car of the Oriental Limited where I was aheadin’ out here to Spokane – I had just gone in to sit down and watch the scenery and –

                        (MUSIC)    (TRAIN EFFECTS FOR BACKGROUND)

PIONEER:      Why, why, Miss you’ll excuse me, but can’t I help you? What’s the matter? Not bad news, I hope?

VIRGINIA:     No – no, it’s not – not bad news. I’m just – just so lonesome!

                        (SOBS LOUDER)

PIONEER:      Lonesome! Why, why, Miss, I’m old ‘nough to be your father – your grandfather for that matter. Let’s you and me talk this over. This is no place to be lonesome – just look at that magnificent scenery – them mountains –

VIRGINIA:     That’s just it – all these great mountains and forests – and I feel so small! And I don’t know a soul –

The Old Timer was clearly the man to know, if you wanted to accomplish any networking. Virginia and the Old Timer got to chatting, and Virginia explained how she was on her way to Spokane to work for the Chamber of Commerce there.

PIONEER:      Is that so! Why the president of the Spokane Chamber of Commerce is an old friend o’ mine. I’m goin’ to Spokane too – goin’ to stay at his house for a week or so! Well, say – can’t I sorta be your guide out here? I traveled all over this country in the old days when the Indians were still hostile – an’ I know every foot of it.

Virginia let on that she had a feller in New York who wasn’t too keen about the west, and she didn’t have much faith in his ever changing his mind on the subject. She loved it where she was, and just hoped like the dickens that he would change his mind and join her there. In the meantime, though, Virginia was still anxious about not knowing anyone where she was headed.

PIONEER:      Don’t you worry ‘bout that! I know ‘most everybody out here – an’ I’ll see you get acquainted. You’re going to have a wonderful time! And when your young man comes out, he’ll be just as crazy about it as you are. Why, you’re a sort of pioneer – comin’ way out here from New York! Just the same as the pioneer woman o’ fifty years ago!

VIRGINIA:     Oh, do you think Joe’ll like the West? He –

PIONEER:      Like it – why Ma’am it never fails. They always like it.

(SOUND OF CHIME GONG)



PIONEER:      (continuing)  There’s the first call to dinner! I’m so hungry I could eat a catamount raw! An’ these Great Northern meals – why I’m always eatin’ so much on these trains I’m ‘fraid I’ll lose my figger! You come on in an’ have a snack with me, an’ I’ll tell you some more about Spokane and the Northwest! An’ you can tell me about the young man. What’s his name?

VIRGINIA:     His name’s Joe Stuart, and –

A musical bridge brought the radio listeners back once more to the banquet hall of the Davenport Hotel, and the Old Timer at the dais. He finally revealed to the folks in attendance that he had been talking about the young man and woman who were seated with him at dinner.

PIONEER:      An’ so this young lady came to Spokane. As I told her and as you all know she wasn’t lonesome very long – an’ she’s a better Spokane booster than even Mr. Winterbottom. Here she sits, right alongside me, blushin’ just like a school girl. Stand up, Virginia, an’ let the folks see the best booster in Spokane!

                        (LOUD APPLAUSE)

VIRGINIA:     (embarrassedly) I’m not really the best booster in Spokane, Old Timer. For example, I haven’t succeeded yet in convincing Mr. Stuart that Spokane’s the finest town in the country –

JOE:                Oh yes, you have, Virginia. You’ll pardon me, Mr. Chairman, I know. I’ve just got to make a speech myself. Sort of contagious – must be the air out here – strengthens the vocal cords. Do you mind?

With that, Joe jumped up and surprised Virginia with a few things he had up his sleeve.

JOE:                Now I’m going to begin my speech by telling you the difference between an Easterner and a Westerner. You know when Westerners go to the East, the tradition is that they are strong silent men, given to doing and not talking. Well do you know why they don’t talk? It’s because they’re scared to death that if they get to talking, the Easterners will find out what a swell place the west is and they’ll all move out here and then there won’t be any room for the westerners and they’ll all have to move east to find breathing space. (laughter)  But now you take the easterner. According to tradition when he comes to the West he does nothing else but talk about how wonderful the East is and he talks so fast you can’t get a word in edgewise – Ladies and Gentlemen, the reason he talks too fast is because he’s scared to death that if he stops talking, the westerners will ask him a few questions about the east and he’ll have to tell the truth! (LAUGHTER)  And that, ladies and gentlemen, has been the trouble with me, ever since I arrived in Spokane. I knew if I ever stopped talking I’d be lost, and since I’ve been here I’ve stopped talking so often – to look at your scenery, and drink in your fresh air and eat your good food that I am lost! Tonight finished it – this dinner that the Hotel Davenport served us was my Waterloo, because I was so busy using my mouth for the eats that I forgot to use it for the east. It’s all over with me now.  (APPLAUSE AND LAUGHTER)  I’ve been out here now for nearly a week –

Virginia was a bit startled by all this, and challenged Joe about what he’d been up to, saying she believed he had only arrived in town the day before. Joe began to spill the beans, but at his own pace. He explained that he had toured the area to get a feel for the place, and the Old Timer asked him what his verdict was.

JOE:                Well to tell you the truth I’ve seen so much in such a short time that I’m a little bit staggered. As a newspaper man back home said recently “Radio announcers are nothing if not accurate – and they are not accurate.” Now I am not an announcer – but neither can I be accurate in this case – I can only give you a few impressions – Among other things I have noticed that the American Northwest has a completely even temperature, that is – it is the same everywhere. I am positive of this because in every city which I have visited the citizens have assured me that their community has the best temperature in that part of the country. (laughter)  I have also been impressed with the big way you do things out here, especially as I passed thru Montana and North Dakota on my way to Spokane, where for miles and miles on either side of the Great Northern tracks you have cleared away the trees so that the easterners might see the view. Any other definite impressions at this time are impossible because I’ve seen so much in such a short time. At the present moment the impression I have of the Inland Empire is of great wheat fields spouting out a stream of enormous trees into a huge apple orchard composed of lead, copper and zinc mines, which is run by water power made up of alfalfa, poultry and vegetable ranches and which produces for twenty-four hours a day a constant flow of the most beautiful scenery and the best fishing and hunting I have ever seen. In other words – I am sold!


Next, Joe alerted the audience to a more specific and personal announcement.

JOE:                Fellow citizens – I take this opportunity to announce that my wife and I will be at home after – well, say 3 o’clock tomorrow afternoon – at our new residence on – let me see, where’s the address of that house I bought this morning – here it is – 303 Maplecrest Avenue… Drop in and see us any time.

Virginia was knocked a bit off balance by this . . .

VIRGINIA:     Joe – your wife?

JOE:                Certainly – You and I are being married at noon tomorrow.

VIRGINIA:     (gasping)  We are?

JOE:                Yes, I’m taking the day off.

VIRGINIA:     The day off?

JOE:                Yes – I landed a swell job yesterday morning and I’ve got lots of work to do.

VIRGINIA:     But Joe – you got a job – and bought a house and getting married all in two days!


Professor Winterbottom once again stepped to the dais and kept the proceedings moving along.

W:                   And now, my friends, let us all join in singing our city’s song – “Hello, Miss Spokane, Hello!”

(APPLAUSE. ORCHESTRA UP WITH SONG – ALL SING. FADE LOW ENOUGH TO HEAR!)
 
Sheet music, circa 1914. Yes, there really is a song called "Hello, Miss Spokane."
You can't make this stuff up.

As almost an afterthought, Joe mentioned to Virginia that he forgot to ask her something. She replied “ask me what?”, and he said “to marry me –will you?” By now, the radio show’s 30 minutes was just about up. No time for formalities or getting on a knee and whatnot. Happily ever after, those two, I’m sure.

 

If you care to know more about the historic Davenport Hotel in Spokane, follow this link to a video history called “The Davenport Hotel: Grand Again”, a roughly one-and-a-quarter hour program from KSPS Public Television: http://video.ksps.org/video/1476681581/ 
 

If a book is more your speed, here’s another link to a listing on Amazon for a thorough treatment of the Davenport: “Spokane’s Legendary Davenport Hotel” by Tony and Suzanne Bamonte (published 2001): http://www.amazon.com/Spokanes-legendary-Davenport-Hotel-Bamonte/dp/0965221970/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427634501&sr=1-1&keywords=davenport+hotel
 

Until next week, keep your dial tuned to Empire Builders!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use my email address to contact me directly. If you post a comment here, I would appreciate it if you let me know who you are. I cannot reply to anonymous comments - there is no way for me to get back to you.