Thursday, January 14, 2021

 

On this date in (commercial radio) history . . .

 

January 14, 1929

 

The Great Northern Railway goes on the air with “Empire Builders,” a ground-breaking half-hour radio program that aired weekly on the NBC coast-to-coast network until the final broadcast on June 22, 1931. Originally aired from NBC studios in New York, the program shifted to the new NBC studios in Chicago’s massive Merchandise Mart in the fall of 1930. This final season of Empire Builders effectively launched the entertainment careers of Don Ameche and Bernardine Flynn. Many voices heard on Empire Builders (often for the first time) were also heard on dozens of popular radio programs in later years.


Newspaper advertisement from the
Brooklyn Daily Eagle, January 14, 1929


No comments:

Post a Comment

Use my email address to contact me directly. If you post a comment here, I would appreciate it if you let me know who you are. I cannot reply to anonymous comments - there is no way for me to get back to you.